You are here:
Search

Beauty with a Purpose

Vinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.xVinaora Nivo Slider 3.x
Julia Kourotchkina - Miss World 1992

1992

Beauty With A Purpose & Miss World

Julia Kourotchkina - Russia

Julia Kourotchkina - Miss World 1992

On December 12th 1992 the Miss World Crown was placed on my head in the beautiful Lost City at Sun City. It was a moment of not only great happiness and pride in my country, Russia, but also of great responsibility – that of helping children.

From South Africa I travelled to London, just before Christmas. Through Variety Club I met children form all over the world, attending many of their hospitals and parties. Particularly memorable was the party for Chernobyl children.

In January I was involved in the Miss Spain program, before returning to England where I presented a donation to the Royal Alexandra Paediatric Hospital in Brighton.

Next came Poland and the Gala Ball of the Prosistem Queen of Sabo, in aid of the Red Cross. I left Warsaw with a 7 year-old boy, Victor Kiporenko. I escorted him back to Kings College Hospital for life-saving treatment, before flying to Mexico to sign the American-Russian Greetings card along with many well-known Americans and Russians.

A highlight whilst in England was being the first Miss World to take part in a debate at the Oxford Union (and only the second Russian – after Gorbachev!) On a lighter note was a visit to Ascot.
Visits to Spain, Hong Kong, China, USA, Colombia and Jamaica fol lowed. The Asian trip was fascinating, especially helping to select mainland China’s first Miss World contestant. I also had a great welcome in Colombia, where I visited many children’s homes and hospitals. After similar functions in Jamaica, I raced home to Moscow to complete my college exams. Phew!

In August I returned to South Africa, and to many happy memories. I attended numerous functions, amongst them, judging at the Miss South Africa Contest. Then it was off to Switzerland (great!) before returning to Moscow to crown our new Miss Russia. Still to come are visits to Italy, France, Hong Kong and Paraguay – all before Miss World 1993!

It’s been a hectic, delightful and thought-provoking year. Thank you, all of you.   With best wishes,

Julia Kourotchkina


Ina Perlman
Executive Director – Operation Hunger


“BEAUTY WITH A PURPOSE” – USING A GOD-GIVEN GIFT AND YOUR OWN TALENT TO BENEFIT NOT ONLY YOURSELF, BUT OTHERS – IS THE PURPOSE BEHIND THE ANNUAL MISS WORLD COMPETITION, AND THE REASON OPERATION HUNGER IS NOT ONLY DELIGHTED TO BE A BENEFICIARY OF THE FUNDS RAISED, BUT IS PROUD TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS EVENT.

Once again, our most grateful thanks to Sun International and Eric and Julia Morley for making this possible.

I wonder how many of you read the Unicef report in the press recently; how many of you absorbed the statement that South Africa’s track record on child death is more than double that of any country of similar income level worldwide – 73 child deaths per 1000 live births, as opposed to 35, which is the world average for a country of comparable wealth. We in South Africa can no longer use our favourite fob-off “but look at the rest of Africa”. 53% of our children are physically stunted, as the victims of chronic protein energy malnutrition. The all Africa average is 39%.

South Africa, which is still among the top 10 in Africa economically, has, on child death and malnutrition, a worse track record than Botswana or Mauritius, countries whose GP is substantially lower than ours.

In Natal, only 25% of children are adequately nourished: of the remaining 75%, 30% and more are in the life endangered zone; the rest are stunted, underweight, part of the world-wide ineducable majority who die by inches from the moment they are born. The Transkei is not much better. The dramatic deterioration in the Orange Free State makes it the worst area in the country, with 80% of all new applicants stunted and underweight. Of these 50% are in the danger zone.

New applications for funding are pouring in countrywide. We already have a commitment to way over 2 million people. This month we have to cut rations in many areas. December, the traditional festive season will, for the vast majority of people we serve, be a time of additional deprivation, of even greater need. But you, by participating so generously have ensured happiness  and security for some.

Ina Perlman

 

Special Features

Each week, BWP will present a new in-depth report on one of the many charity projects worldwide that has benefitted from the work of Julia Morley and the support of Beauty with a Purpose. Keep watching this space for more details on these special features.

  

MISS WORLD
MR WORLD
MISS TEEN WORLD

Julia Morley

Julia Morley MESSAGE FROM JULIA MORLEY

CHAIRMAN AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OF THE MISS WORLD ORGANISATION

Read the Full Article

Popular Article

Latest articles